Monument record BUC 008 - Possible trackways, field boundaries and ring ditches of unknown date, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 26061 40806 (340m by 684m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Field system S of Potash House - linear ditches, possible rectangular enclosure. Two possible ring ditches, circa 9m and 11m in diameter (S1).
Possible trackways, field boundaries and ring ditches of unknown date are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, located in a field to the south of Potash Cottage, Bucklesham parish, centred on circa TM25994098. Although the orientation of the possible tracks and boundaries (roughly north-south and east-west) is similar to the surrounding post-medieval field system, they do not appear to be directly associated with it. Sections of track and boundary at TM25934059 and circa TM26134077 are on slightly different alignments to the current land division. It is not possible to confidently ascribe a date to the field system, but the possible association with ring ditches in the size range 6-20 metres diameter could allow an interpretation of a later prehistoric or Romano-British settlement. See BUC 057 for a length of trackway and BUC ??? for ring ditches in this area. (S2, S3)
- <S1> SSF18671 (No record type): SAU, APs ACQ 12-14, ACS 9.
- <M1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: ACQ 12-14, ACS 9.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. TM 2640/13-14 (4851/39-40) 08-JUL-1993.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. TM 2640/26-7 (21334/30-31) 30-JUL-2001.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 5 2021 11:44AM