Monument record KIR 002 - Prehistoric field boundaries, trackways and enclosures, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 275 405 (848m by 765m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||KIRTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Crop marks of extensive settlement, ditches and pits. Note Early IA sherds in sand pit across road to S (S1)(S2).
Area of cropmarks shown on HER map extended eastwards after (S3). See also KIR 009.
Extensive ditched features, including possible field boundaries, trackways and enclosures of probable late prehistoric date are visible on aerial photographs as cropmarks, centred approximately on TM27394048 in Kirton parish. Although cropmarks are visible extending over more than circa 25 hectares, variable soil depth makes definite sites and features difficult to interpret and many of the cropmarks are probably geological in origin and some linear, north-south ditches are post-medieval in date (S?). The possible prehistoric field boundaries are orientated on a predominantly north-east to south-west axis, an irregular trackway crossing this area from west to east before turning to the south-east and potentially reappearing as KIR 053.
- <S1> SSF18808 (No record type): SAU, APs AFZ 10,11.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP ASK 20; SAU AFZ 10, 11; Essex C C CP/96/16/7.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP ASK 20.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachan D, AP, CP/96/16/7, June 1996.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/34 3063 15-AUG-1944.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/80 5228 28-JUL-1948.
- <S6> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 543/2326 408-9 23-JUL-1963.
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2740/15 (26929/07) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S8> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS 92/364 166 27-JUN-1992.
- <S9> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2740/7 (1845/015) 31-JUL-1980.
- <S10> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2740/9 (1832/466) 31-JUL-1980.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2014 11:58AM