Monument record KIR 008 - Probable Prehistoric ditched field system or settlement, visible as cropmarks. (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 274 395 (248m by 158m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||KIRTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Rectilinear cropmark systems (S1), E of KIR 007, N of Trimley St Martin 011. Including subrectangular enclosure, circa 70m by 70m with entrance to E. September 1994: Area of cropmarks extended further E on HER map after (S2).
A probable prehistoric field system or settlement is visible on aerial photographs as a cropmark complex to the west of Kirton, just over 500 metres to the north of Innocence House at circa TM27453961, in Kirton Parish. The field system is composed of sub-rectangular enclosures orientated roughly east to west, possibly separated or connected by trackways. The complex may extend slightly further south than mapped but greater confidence in identification was not possible with the available photographs. The rectilinear cromparks described above relate to the post-medieval field system surrounding this site, which are visible on the first and second edition Ordnance Survey maps of 1884 and 1904. The area of the monument polygon has therefore been reduced accordingly. (S3, S4)
- <S1> SSF18809 (No record type): SAU, APs AFZ 12,13,15,16,19.
- <M1> SSF42865 (No record type): APs: AFZ 12,13,15,16,19.
- <S2> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS 92/364 167-8 27-JUN-1992.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1904.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 7 2013 12:36PM