Monument record LVT 010 - Levington Heath (NW)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 238 407 (571m by 560m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LEVINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Group of three ring ditches (see LVT 023-025), mound and linear ditches (S1).
A group of four probable Bronze Age barrows (LVT 022-025), a natural feature which resembles a barrow (LVT 026) , and a linear ditch, probably a land division boundary of unknown date, are all visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs in Levington parish, centred roughly on TM23894075. The linear boundary can be seen as a cropmark for circa 550 metres from circa TM23634086 to TM24154063. The date of this feature is unknown but it appears to respect the earthworks of the barrows LVT 024 and 025, and therefore post-dates the construction of the barrows in the Bronze Age. This sequence resembles that seen nearby around the possible barrow TYN 009 and may represent continuing significance of these barrows as landscape features into the medieval period. (S2, S3, S4)
- --- SSF60075 Article in serial: Colchester Archaeological Group. 1979. Colchester Archaeol Group Bull, 25, 1979.
- <S1> SSF18678 (No record type): SAU, APs ACQ 28, 29, ACS 04, 06.
- <M1> SSF38069 (No record type): APs: ACQ 28, 29, ACS 04, 06.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM2340/29 (EXC 16928/06) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM2340/23 (4505/11) 14-JUL-1989.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1978, PSIA, 34, 1979, (3), 220.
- <S5> SSF3832 Article in serial: Colchester Archaeological Group. 1975. Colchester Archaeol Group Bull, 18, 1975.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 5 2021 3:19PM