Monument record SUS 001 - Scole Bridge (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1470 7856 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||STUSTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Before 1889 `original blocks of paving stone' were found in the Waveney where road crosses the river (R2, 249)(S2).
Road line identified circa 1930's (before 1936), SW of modern bridge, before modern bridge re-diverted back to Rom line. Packed flints, 21 feet wide, 9 inches below surface; ditch on W side contained Rom sherds excavations by Thrower & Long (S2)(R1).
Pottery sherds from circa 75cm below level of river bed (found in 1956 bridge construction)(S2)(S3).
1968: TM 1465 7855 `A few flint flakes (? Neo) and R/B sherds (grey ware) dredged from road ditch on line of Roman road - not retained. Roman road not apparent in sections' (S4).
TM 1467 7857 sherd concentration from river dredging (K Rackham 1969). Description of road in Basil Brown archive (S1).
Also Neo flints.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, V, 46; XLIV, 12,4,61; map 28.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, map.
- <R1> SSF6739 (No record type): Gale C H, Roman remains in Scole, PSIA, 22, 1936, 263, 267.
- <R2> SSF10710 (No record type): Manning, C.R.. Manning C R, `Opening Address of the Antiquarian Section', Archaeol J, 46, 245-259.
- <S2> SSF17720 (No record type): Rogerson A, `Excavations at Scole, 1973', EAA, 5, 1977, 100, fig 39.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4).
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards 956-52 & 62, 1956.
- <S4> SSF11549 (No record type): Moss G I, E Suff record sheet, circa 1970.
- <S5> SSF50249 Photograph: Norfolk Archaeological Unit. Air photograph. TM1478 HXM 11-15, 28 may 1994.
- FSF11761: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2015 1:28PM