Monument record EYE 015 - Low Farm (formerly); Flimworth Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 171 731 (141m by 88m)|
|Civil Parish||EYE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Moat, irregular, wet, inhabited. Building on interior (listed Grade II) of early and late C17, `timber framed. Mainly encased in late C19 red brick.... Has areas of serious decay, although the roof appears in good condition' (S1).
Name recorded as Flymworth Hall in C17 (S2), Low Farm in 1783 (S3), Flemworth Hall or Eye Low Farm 1837 (S4).
Site of Manor of Flemworth Hall, recorded from C15. Copy of a survey of the manor in 1651 in the D E Davy Mss (S5). This survey may be the same as the description of the C17 description of the site printed in (S2). This describes the rooms in the house, mentions a large yard, bakehouse, dairy, large 10 bay barn, stable, mill-house, `with several other outhouses'. Mentions bounded by a moat on the E, W & S sides. Also mentions that the house had been built `not long since' by Thomas Lucas (1584-1664), the tenant (S2).
Moat apparently not shown on estate map of 1757 (S6). March 2001: Scheduled. (s7)
- --- SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. English Heritage, Scheduling Information..
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S1)(S2).
- <S1> SSF5239 (No record type): DOE, listed building register, TM 17 SE 5/45, August 1987.
- <S2> SSF50047 Bibliographic reference: East Anglian Miscellany. E Anglian Miscellany, 1909, no. 2737.
- <S3> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S4> SSF12366 (No record type): OS 1st edition map, 1837.
- <S5> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Manors of Suffolk, 3, 1909, 260.
- <S6> SSF21899 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich, HA68: 484/752.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 24 2019 5:36PM