Monument record HTC 001 - Wetherden Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9714 5099 (138m by 129m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HITCHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- MOAT (15th century to IPS: Late Medieval Transitional - 1401 AD to 1600 AD)
- ALMSHOUSE (17th century to 18th century - 1601 AD to 1700 AD)
- HOUSE (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FISHPOND (15th century to IPS: Late Medieval Transitional - 1401 AD to 1600 AD)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Undated)
- BARN (16th century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
Wetherden Hall (site of). In 1917 the moat measured 114 N - S by 112 yards E W, with a brick bridge with 2 arches on the W side and a small wooden postern bridge on the E side; long row of ancient buildings, partly cottages partly granaries along N side of moat there in C17 - the overmantel from one house is said to have been removed to Brettenham Hall (S1). In 1972 - a large square moat with sides circa 105m long, arms 10m wide and water-filled. Traces of an inner revetting wall can be seen at SE angle. Modern bridge across W arm. Island contains a range of derelict farm cottages, probably C19 in date. Site of hall marked by a scatter of building debris including 'Tudor' brick at TL 9719 5099. Waterfilled ponds which may have fish ponds to the N NW and SW. Present Wetherden Hall is modern and is situated adjacent to the moat at TL 9610 5092 (S2).
Site named after Richard Witherton (died 1461) the first recorded holder of the manor.
1984 - moat ditches cleaned out, resulting in large spreads of mud on the island and surrounding the moat. Large amounts of peg tile and brick visible, but otherwise only C19 - C20 bottles etc. Brick revetting of island visible on S and E sides but in poor condition. Remains of timber bridge visible at water level in middle of E side. Cottages and brick bridge in process of renovation. Bridge has a brick bearing the initials 'E H ' - presumably those of a member of the Hitchcock family, tenants in early C19. The long row of cottages have 3 sets of double chimneys - equalling the 6 hearths recorded here in the 1674 Hearth Tax. The cottages appear to be early C17 in date and are possibly the almshouse for poor people that Sir George Waldegrave of Wetherden Hall established by his will dated 1636. If so it would seem that the Hall was demolished and the almshouse built in its stead some time after 1636. By 1840 the cottages were in use as a farmhouse (S3).
24 January 2001: Scheduled - details in (S6).
See also PMed brick/tile scatter HTC 023.
Site of a 16th C timber-framed and brick farmhouse with a slate roof. Formerly incorporated into this building was a 5 bay barn, integrated with a block for domestic accommodation which is rare. This barn was moved to Sicklesmere in 1987 to form the annexe to the Rushbrooke Arms public house (S7).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: List of owners, correspondence with owners, November 1984.
- <S1> SSF6261 (No record type): Farrer Rev E, 'Wetherden Hall', East Anglian Miscellany, 1917, 4, 798.
- <M2> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. (S6).
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL95SE11, 1972.
- <S3> SSF18038 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), 1984.
- <S4> SSF16388 (No record type): Photos of cottages before renovation, Suffolk Buildings Recording Group /A/22.
- <S5> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 202.
- <S6> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Scheduling information.
- <S7> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 6 2011 3:04PM