Monument record DBN 004 - Bloodwood; Mount Piece (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 167 636 (109m by 105m)|
|Civil Parish||DEBENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Roughly circular moated site, enclosing an `island' of about half an acre, in a field called Bloodwood (Mount Piece on the 1837 Tithe map). Moat was between 40 and 50ft wide. A Victorian cottage had been built in the SW part of the moat.
Site visited by Basil Brown in September 1965 at invitation of (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), who advised that a previous owner had told them of buried urns here. He described it as almost circular with a wide foss and 2 photographs are in the archive of the site before it was levelled. He adds that on the 1837 OS map, the site is called Chamberlains Hill (S3)
The site was levelled in 1967 and rescue recording was undertaken by E J Owles and N Smedley of Ipswich Museum.
C13-C14 pottery. Rubbish pits. Cobbled spreads. Site now levelled and ploughed (S1)(S2).
Field Name (Mount Field) and circular shape suggest the possibility that this was the site of a medieval windmill.
1995: C12-C14 pottery recovered through fieldwalking (S6).
AP (Undated) shows pale interior and exterior (bank?) soil marks (S7). Shows on other APs as well.
2012: showing really well on Google Earth digital AP (viewed Jan 2013).
See also Preh.
- <S1> SSF15290 (No record type): Owles E J, A medieval moated farmstead at Debenham, PSIA, 31, 2, 160- 171.
- <M1> SSF46106 (No record type): APs: SAU ADE 26, ADF 24, AGG 04.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 31, 1968, 160-171.
- <M2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 967-79, 1967.
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XXXVI, 18-20.
- <M3> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: finds report sheet.
- <S4> SSF18756 (No record type): SAU, APs ADE 26, ADF 24, AGG 04.
- <S5> SSF13118 (No record type): OS, AP, 93 373 032, 2 August 1993 and 73 095 171-172, 1973.
- <S6> SSF20982 Finds Report: Savery, E. 1995. Finds Report. Savery E, 1995.
- <S7> SSF21066 (No record type): SCC(?), AP, TM 1663/1763, Undated.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 1:47PM