Monument record DBN 009 - Esther's Moat ; Esther's Barn

Please read our .

Summary

Moat.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 162 629 (120m by 92m)
Map sheet TM16SE
Civil Parish DEBENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Moat. Fragments square/rectangular, partly occupied, isolated. Named as Easters Barn on OS 1st edition map, 1837, moat not shown. Named as Esther's Moat on 1:10,560 map (S1).
May 2004: Monitoring of footing trenches of car port revealed alinment of southern arm of Esther's Moat. The site's former owners remember clearance and infilling of this part of the moat c.30 years ago in an attempt to correct/avoid further subsistence damage sustained by the adjacent northern wall of the barn. However, the date of its original abandonment remains unclear (S2).

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> (No record type): OS, 1:10,560 map, TM 16 SE, c.19548.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S2).
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. SCCAS, Gardner R, No 2004/81.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Feb 3 1995 12:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.