Monument record CRM 001 - Woolard's Pit (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 094 560 (101m by 100m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||CREETING ST MARY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
(see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) - `LBA Urn-Field' found (be E Platten of Needham Market?) in sand pit during course of extraction & by Mr G Maynard of Ipswich Museum. Finds of worked flints and bucket urns (also Neo pottery & flints from `series of pits filled with black earth') etc. Listed as follows: 1925-49 `Worked flints & remains of LBA burial urns from burial holes at Mr F Woolard's pit on the Creeting Hills. Discoidal knife (see Neo).
1929-176 complete(?) small collared bi-conical urn said(?) to have been associated with cremated remains (S5).
1929-198 Rim & shoulder of `Halstatt' (Harling type of LBA/EIA) pot from Woolard's pits - see IA.
1931-232.1, 2 & 3 Worked flints found with 1931-232.1-3 & iron spearhead (see IA).
1932-127 `A' beaker found close to, if not actually with two type `B's. 1937-22 (
1938-45 & 47) Sherds of beaker (& grooved ware - see Neo) found with Samian (see Rom) & worked flints including tanged arrowhead & discoidal knife (sketches in extensions). Found pit working and subsequent excavation in series of (6?) holes filled with black earth - also `letter in file from Clarke'.
1938-47 Beaker, type `A' and flint flakes `recovered from a fall'.
1939-14 Burnt flints & flint flakes found with rim sherd of a collared urn.
1962-121.B Unpolished discoidal flint knife (Henry Millar Collection, 1908- 1980) find date unknown).
Other finds listed as 1929-177 & 178 (small cup), 1930-7 and 1931-23. The evidence for burials/cremations seems slight but the original references in Ipswich Museum need checking.
Brief details of pottery in (S4).
See also Neo, IA, Un & Rom.
- <R1> SSF16401 (No record type): Piggott, Neo Cultures of the British Isles.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards 1931-232, 1932-127, 1938-47.
- <R2> SSF16424 (No record type): Platten E W, Rambles round & jottings about Needham Market, 1925, 70-71.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards 1931-233-5, 1937-22, (1938-45).
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards 1925-49, 1929-176,177,178, 1930-7, 1931-23, 1933-260.
- <S4> SSF6854 (No record type): Gibson A M, Beaker Domestic Sites, BAR 107, 1982, p 137.
- <S5> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 29, 1962, (2), 181, Fig 24b.
- <S6> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 25, 1950, 209.
- FSF23210: POTTERY BEAKER (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF23211: POTTERY ARDLEIGH-TYPE URN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF23212: DISCOIDAL KNIFE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF23213: POTTERY (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF23214: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF23215: POTTERY COLLARED URN (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 1501 BC?)
- FSF23216: POT BOILER (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2010 3:44PM