Monument record CDD 003 - Coddenham Baylham Roman Site (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1131 5298 (1061m by 1411m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CODDENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Sax pot with fragments of human skull discovered when cutting trench for water main. An early type of bowl and the decoration of simple arcading (Stehende-Bogen) also early. ? First half of C5 (R1)(S1).
Also Rom features and pottery, within large Rom settlement (S3). Plan in Ipswich Museum shows location of water main running N-S across this field with various features marked, of which section drawn. This does not identify which produced the Sax material but other records in Ipswich Museum may do (S2).
Copies of ? excavation archive held on microfiche by NMR (R2).
- <R1> SSF11634 (No record type): Myres, 1970.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 958-214, 1958.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file : copy of IPSMG map (S2)..
- <R2> SSF12060 (No record type): NMR, Excavation archive, Smedley and Owles 1958 excavation, microfiche.
- <M2> SSF38879 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF7751 (No record type): IPSMG (Owles E), plan and section drawings, 1958.
- <S3> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 8 2010 9:53AM