Monument record CDD 016 - Coddenham Baylham Roman Site
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 114 526 (327m by 425m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||CODDENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Within large settlement area CDD 003 (S1).
Cropmarks of: a. Triple ditched rhomboid enclosure, similar in shape to PKM 005 (interior width circa 220m).
B. Inner multi-ditched enclosure, two corners visible, ? Rectangular, lying in SW corner of larger fort. Bisected by N-S road line (Caister road). Pits etc. visible within the area.
C19 finds including mirror case with cremation and wall probably came from this area of the site - see CDD 003 CRN 04313 for details.
Air photographs (OS) showed large double ditched fort by 1957 (R2). Identification of two multiple ditched forts by R Farrands in 1975-1976 (see S3 for 1961 Farrands AP) led to extension of scheduled area to include these completely (S1).
Finds from the adjacent areas (CDD 003, 009, 017) indicate probable pre-Roman and substantial early Roman activity.
- <R1> SSF18564 (No record type): SAU, AP AJE 13, AJN 4-12.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF12971 (No record type): OS, AP 75.336.066 & 067.
- <M2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: SAU AJE 13, AJN 4-12, CUCAP CME 28 & 33.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs CME 28 & 33, 18 June 1980.
- <M3> SSF41051 (No record type): SAM file : scheduled area, extension area, letter S E Rigold.
- <S3> SSF50023 Photograph: Farrands. Air Photograph. Farrands R H, AP, 50, 23 July 1961.
- <S4> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 9 2018 3:13PM