Monument record GOS 001 - Moat at Church Farm Gosbeck (Med)

Please read our .

Summary

Double homestead moat, rectangular, wet NW and SW arms, and excavation, see details.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 146 560 (407m by 267m)
Map sheet TM15NW
Civil Parish CROWFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Civil Parish GOSBECK, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (9)

Full Description

Double homestead moat, rectangular, wet NW and SW arms. Scatter of tiles, burnt earth in S area. Isolated, unoccupied, on parish boundary with Crowfield. Shown on 1748 map with ?`COTTAGE YARDS' to S and circular moated area, called `Ye Mount', attached to SW corner and linked to second, smaller circular ?moated area, called `Round Hole' (S1). `Ye Mount' probably windmill mound.
AP showing two circular ring ditches/moats of with internal diameters of circa 60m, the broader eastern example having an external diameter of circa 85m, the easternmost part of which is still waterfilled (S end of existing ditch) (S4)
`Wood Cottages' marked on the OS 1:10560 map to the S of the moats.
Survey of the Manor of Gosbeck 1641 refers to `the wood of the lord, formerly built with the site of the manor of Gosbeck', `Castle Yard' and `the wood of the lord formerly built with the site of the castle' (S3). These all seem to refer to Gosbeck Wood and the moats on the N side of the wood. Survey also indicates that the area to the N of the moats was called `Loosgrene'- see GOS 010.
1989: metal detected finds include small silver cross-pendant from (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), long cross penny of Edward I, Bury St Edmunds mint; Henry VIII groat; Edward half penny; Commonwealth half groat (C17) & a Med harness pendant. Details in (S2).
Half groat of Henry VI from nearby. Also 6 sherds of c14-c15 pottery & 9 further tile fragments. (s4)
2007-2008: trial excavation by Mel Birch et al -The excavations in the northern of the two formerly moated enclosures have revealed the foundations of one certain and one probable medieval building, the one overlaying the other. The earlier building appears to be represented by clay pads for a timber-framed structure and may date from the period of occupation by the de Gosbeck family in the 13th and early 14th centuries. The more certain building was represented by 1m-wide mortared flint and stone foundations and may date from the occupation by the Jermy family in the 14th and 15th centuries. A test-trench was dug into the very low remains of a possible small motte that is linked to the moated enclosures, but failed to provide any dating evidence, further details in S5.
.See also Rom.

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <R1> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM15NW12.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1) & (S3).
  • <S1> (No record type): Hardcastle John?, `A map of land belonging to Nath Acton Esq', 1748.
  • <S2> (No record type): Thompson D (IMDC), per SAU, Newman J, finds ID record, received Bury 1989.
  • <S3> (No record type): Notes on SA/15/12/8 by Stephen Podd, 1994.
  • <S4> Photograph: Air Photographs. Origin unknown (copy with J Newman (SCCAS), July 1996.
  • <S5> Unpublished document: Birch, M A. 2009. Church Farm, Gosbeck, Suffolk, GOS 001.

Finds (6)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 16 2018 9:47AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.