Monument record MNL 211 - Church of St Mary, Mildenhall. (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7102 7459 (83m by 81m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Church of St Mary, also incorrectly known as Church of St Andrew in Victorian times. In Lackford Hundred, St Edmunds & Ipswich diocese and Sudbury archdeaconry, Vicarage status.
Recorded in Domesday survey of 1086 but earliest recognisable part is vestry of circa 1220, chancel enlarged and altered in early C14 (see MNL 134). Main body, the nave, aisles, and porches circa 1420 although buttresses of N aisle appear to date from 1300's. Tower contemporary but partially refaced and altered in 1864.
Large and imposing church with many notable features, e.g. the Angel roof shot with iron arrowhead and leaden buck shot in Cromwellian times (S1)(S3). Formerly listed under CRN 00352.
In SE corner of churchyard are remains of charnel chapel founded in 1387 by Ralph de Waleham. Left to decay after dissolution. Parish attempted to destroy it in 1791. In dry summers outline of building footings visible to E of standing ruins. Moulding in surviving arch in Early English dog tooth style is Victorian replacement by Read family of original worn moulding, which was used to build a `folly' in garden of Read house, where it still stands (S1)(S2).
In NW corner of churchyard is building once used as parish mortuary, known as Cottage Room (S1).
For detailed description see church survey archive.
Scarfe records this as a possible Domesday Minster (S4).
- <S1> SSF22084 (No record type): The Parish Church of St Mary, Mildenhall, official guilde, 1977.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file : photocopy of illustration, copy of (S1).
- <M2> SSF50051 Unpublished document: Church File. Church survey archive: Mildenhall.
- <S2> SSF5705 (No record type): Englefield H C, Illustration of two masses of flint wall in Mildenhall churchyard with observations .
- <S3> SSF7811 (No record type): IPSMG, 1935-187, 1935.
- <S4> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, 'Domesday Churches', 3rd ed, 1999, map 21.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 6 2012 11:47AM