Monument record BRF 001 - Bramford Pit (Coe's Pit); Pits 1 & 2, Bramford, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1281 4816 (298m by 221m)|
|Civil Parish||BRAMFORD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Flint flakes allegedly from the Red Crag,(S1).
Moir also claimed aditional flints as "Aurignacian"from terrace gravel 10ft thick resting on the chalk on the side of the entrance to the pit. This depost was not extant in 1985. Wymer refers the two possible flakes in Ipswich Museum as suspect. Details and excavation by J Reid Moir in (S2-S8).
Reports of flakes from 1909 (formerly BRF 156, formerly BRF misc). However no source given.
See also BRF 011.
See also Prehistoric & Post Medieval records.
No further details found in Ipswich Museum Accession registers September 2020.
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards 1931-154, 1924-79.106, 1933-15.
- <S2> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. 207.
- <S3> SSF16532 Article in serial: Moir J R. 1921. Further Discoveries of Humanly-Fashioned Flints in and Beneath the Red Crag of Suffolk. 3. PPSEA, 1920-1921, 3, 411-430.
- <S4> SSF16542 Article in serial: Moir J R. 1924. On Some Further Flint Implements of Pliocene Age Discovered in Suffolk. 4, 1. PPSEA, 4, 1924, 53-56.
- <S5> SSF11445 Source Unchecked: Moir J R. Moir J Reid per IPSMG. Moir J Reid per IPSMG.
- <S6> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM14NW5.
- <S7> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards 1937-42, 1949-49.
- <S8> SSF56334 Article in serial: Moir J R. 1930. Ancient Man in the Gipping—Orwell Valley, Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 16 2020 11:47AM