Monument record WHR 038 - Bobbitshole; Bobbitt's Hole, Wherstead
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 150 414 (162m by 160m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WHERSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ipswichian type site (S1-S5), lake bed deposits. SSSI.
1952: Investigations by Spencer. The interglacial deposits are shown to occupy a lake basin in a valley cut in the local plateau. In this basin was deposited a series of lacustrine sediments, first silt (probably aeolian in origin), the clay-myd and finally clay. These interglacial sediments are sealed uncinformably by sandy gravel, probably deposited under cold conditions
1998: Borehole investigation showed that the Ipswichian Interglacial organic lakebed deposits don't extend this far east (S3)
Scientific dating report on British Aggregates by English Heritage (S6).
- <S1> SSF22245 Article in serial: Spencer, H E P. 1953. Bobbits Hole, Belstead, Interim Report. Trans Suff Nat Soc 8, 1952-3, (2), 53-58.
- <S2> SSF43 Article in serial: Sparks, B. W.. 1957. The Non-Marine Mollusca of the Interglacial Deposits at Bobbitshole, Ipswich. `The Mullusca of Bobbitshole Inter-glacial Beds, Ipswich', Trans Suff Nat Soc, 1954, 110-114.
- <S3> SSF54542 Unpublished document: Green, C, P, Branch, N, P, Palmer A, P and Scaife, R, G. 1998. Anglian Water / English Nature Joint research project to examine land to the east of Bobbitshole SSSI, suffolk.
- <S4> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. pgs 7, 213, 359, 363 & 368.
- <S5> SSF22952 Article in serial: West R G. 1957. Interglacial deposits at Bobbitshole, Ipswich. West R G, `Interglacial deposits at Bobbitshole, Ipswich', Phil Trans Roy Soc, London, 1957, 13, 24.
- <S6> SSF54691 Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. 2008. British Aggregates Scientific Dating Report, no. 6-2008. English Heritage, British Aggregates Scientific Dating Report, no. 6-2008.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2020 1:24PM