Monument record IPS 013 - Romano British Cemetary, Dales Road, Bolton & Pipe's Brickfield; Knightsdale Road, (IAS 8007, IAS 8008).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1545 4652 (82m by 66m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
c.1909-c.1938: Monitoring of the Brickfield revealed burials as part of a cemetery, inhumations, extended, oriented generally head to East and at least one cremation. Six with skulls between feet. At least one North - South, accompanied by four pots, one glass vessel and one cylindrical leaden casket. Coffin nails. Grave goods include pottery, colour coated beakers, two glass beakers. Portions of baked clay cylindrical weights found close to a group of graves presumably associated with a burial. A pot of 'signal station ware', probably shell-gritted (as Huntcliff calcite-gritted in East Yorks) is described as found near one of the decapitated burials and containing burnt human bone - the rarity of 4th century cremation was noted. (S1). Digital photo from Ipswich Museum of probably this pot received 2013.
Approximately 700m from Castle Hill Villa, IPS 015. Found during mineral extraction from brick pit.
June 1990: Trenched evaluation and later watching brief of area at TM 1548 4653 failed to locate any archaeology - details in (S2, S8).
1990: Geotechnical test pitting and borehole survey, (S7).
See also (S3-S6).
See also IPS 010 - be wary of confusion over identification and event attribution.
- --- SSF57698 Unpublished document: IPSMG. Ipswich Museum Extension Books.
- <S1> SSF55952 Article in serial: Moir, J. R. and G. Maynard. 1933. The Roman villa at Castle Hill, Whitton, Ipswich. PSIA, 21, (3), 1933, 256- 262, ill, map.
- <S2> SSF56811 Unpublished document: Newman J. 1990. Knightsdale Road, Ipswich, Field Report.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1931-43, 1931-44, 1931-45, 1931-46, 1932.126, 1935.80.
- <S4> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 8007, IAS 8008.
- <S5> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM14NE3 (can't locate card 18 July 1994).
- <S6> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 8007, IAS 8008.
- <S7> SSF56810 Unpublished document: Williams, M.. 1990. Ipswich, Wharfedale Road,.
- <S8> SSF56809 Unpublished document: 1990. Knightsdale Road, Ipswich, Field Report.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF21052: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF21053: POTTERY COLOUR COATED (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF21054: LOOMWEIGHT (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF21055: NAIL (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF21056: CASKET (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF21057: VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF42432: HUMAN REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit, Geotechnical Test Pit and Borehole Survey, Wharfedale Road, Ipswich. (ESF24602)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation, Roman Cemetery, Bolton & Laughlins Pit, Dale Road, Ipswich. (ESF24600)
- Event - Intervention: Geotechnical Test Pit and Borehole Survey, Wharfedale Road, Ipswich. (ESF24599)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring, Bolton & Laughlins Pit, Dale Road, Ipswich, (IAS 8006). (ESF15824)
- Event - Intervention: Watching Brief, Roman Cemetery, Bolton & Laughlins Pit, Dale Road, Ipswich. (ESF16140)
Record last edited
May 5 2021 11:26AM