Monument record IPS 027 - Bronze-Age Concentric Ring Ditch, Ipswich, (IAS 9108, IAS 9118).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1992 4120 (51m by 50m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
A Bronze Age concentric ring ditch is visible on aerial photographs to the south of Ipswich airport.
Double ring ditch, outer ring 15-20m diameter. Grid reference revised from TM 1992 4117 (S1). A mound is shown at or close to this point on Hodskinson's map of 1783 (S2). The area was extra parochial, part of Alnesbourne Priory, a contemporary estate map dated 1770 does not show the mound but calls the field `Mount Lay' (S3) - see IPS 024.
A Bronze Age round barrow is visible as the cropmarks of two concentric ring ditches on aerial photographs, centred on TM 19924120 to the south of Ipswich airport. The ring ditches enclose areas of 29m and 20m and their form along with the map evidence (S2) (S3) suggests that the features are the remains of a Bronze Age round barrow (S4, S5). Photograph (S1) was not available for consultation (S5).
1990: fieldwalked by John Newman - light scatter of flint flakes including 1 scraper and moderately dense scatter of heavily burnt flints nearby (S8-S10). See IPS 977 and IPS 978. Note modern pit in area of ring ditches.
- <S1> SSF45051 Photograph: 1977. AP: AGF 15. AP: AGF 15.
- <S2> SSF7559 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. County of Suffolk Surveyed.
- <S3> SSF21539 Cartographic materials: 1770. SRO (Ipswich) HA 93/12/38 map of South part of Harpers Farm, 1770. SRO (Ipswich) HA 93/12/38 map of South part of Harpers Farm, 1770.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/23 4040-4041 06-JUL-1944.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2041/8 (RHF 19507/07) 30-JUL-1980.
- <S6> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 20/06/03.
- <S7> SSF50023 Photograph: Farrands. Air Photograph. Farrands RH, 'Nacton', 1962.
- <S8> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. Newman J, SAU, plus fied report and notated map, Oct 1990.
- <S8> SSF5068 Map: 1845. Eyke Tithe Map and Award.
- <S9> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. Martin E (SAU), Oct 1990.
- <S9> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version)..
- <S10> SSF56824 Unpublished document: Newman, J.. 1990. Fieldwalking Report, IPS 027.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 18 2018 8:45AM