Monument record HNN 004 - Sapiston Bridge (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 915 748 (155m by 188m)|
|Civil Parish||HONINGTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Urns circa 7 feet apart, bucket urns, one with a cremation, three cremations without urns, cut Neo occupation.
Part of rim of bucket urn, with raised line of finger tips, in Ipswich Museum.
Dec 1938-Feb 1939: excavation by CS Leaf of remnant of urnfield (a total of 5 cremations recorded) plus Mesolithic axehead and Grooved ware pits and arrowheads found. Details in (S2, copy in parish file).
Basil Brown visited the site a few times and says that most of the burial urns could not be saved but one complete urn containing ashes had been given to Cambridge Museum by Mr Newport (in 1938?). He says the distance between burials was about 7 feet and the urns were in hollows filled with dark soil. The excavation took place late 1946 and when Brown visited the site in August 1950 he found no pottery, only one worked flint. He adds, "Probably large part of urnfield still remains untouched". He gives sketch maps of site and also sketches of some of the pottery found. On his OS map he notes "Bronze Age urnfield in pit opened by Messrs Allen Newport Ltd, Fordham, Cambs (see Cambridge notes) possibly 1942. Some investigations made by Mr Leaf of Freckenham. Some of this pottery is at Cambridge and a large sherd at Ipswich. BB 21/10/50" (S3).
Notes on Leaf's excavations in Cambridge University Museum archive (S4).
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: map, volumes.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 25, 1950, (2), 214.
- <S2> SSF15618 (No record type): PCAS, 45, 1952, 30-43.
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 15; VIII, 86,87; LXXXIX, 65; XCVI, 20,22, 117.
- <S4> SSF10502 (No record type): Leaf, C.S.. Leaf C S, Excavation Notes, Cambridge University Museum, Suffolk archive.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2010 5:26PM