Monument record ARW 016 - A Post Medieval road or trackway with possible Medieval origins.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 219 343 (116m by 628m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ARWARTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Trackway running N-S, with rectilinear field boundaries meeting trackway to the W (S1).
Med bronze strap end with crude incised decoration (in form of ?M - ?Mary). End broken off. Found metal detecting (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S2).
A Post Medieval road or trackway with possible Medieval origins is visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, running from TM 21953462 to TM 22033399, from Erwarton village southwards towards the coast. The road or trackway is visible as a hollow way type ditch at its southern end and as a compacted surface around TM 21953452. (S1) (S3-S5) The road is depicted on the Erwarton estate map of 1770 (S6) but it could easily have much earlier origins. (S7)
- <M1> SSF38730 (No record type): AP: AGL 007.
- <S1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2234/2 (SFU 11569/GL/7) 03-AUG-1977.
- <S2> SSF19620 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, finds ID record, received Bury 1989.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2).
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1492 3070-3071 10-MAY-1946.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2134/3 (956/408) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2134/10 (4851/03) 08-JUL-1993.
- <S6> SXS50144 Map: Chapman, W.. 1770. Estate of Doweger Lady Chedworth in Erwarton. Traced from original.
- <S7> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 15/12/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2013 1:36PM