Monument record WLV 009 - A possible field system or unknown date is visible on aerial photographs to the south of Whinnyfield Wood in Woolverstone parish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 181 389 (636m by 516m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FRESTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WOOLVERSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Rectilinear field system forming 3 or 4 small rectangular fields with several other lengths of field boundary apparent; some boundaries curving slightly; with two short curving lengths of trackway (S1)(S2).
W of WLV 008. Crosses Freston/Woolverstone parish boundary.
A possible ditch-defined field system of unknown date is visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, centred on TM 18083904 to the south of Whinnyfield Wood in Woolverstone parish. The field system is made up of several linear ditches which appear to form a number of rectilinear enclosures of varying size. Two short stretches of trackway are visible at TM 17863904 and TM 18143894. A small rectilinear enclosure at TM 17863908 appears to be directly associated with the first stretch of trackway. A ring ditch roughly 13m in diameter is visible within a rectangular enclosure at TM 18243899. (S1, S3-S6) The possible field system cropmarks do not form a particularly coherent pattern and their alignment is similar to both the Later Prehistoric or Roman field system to the west (FRT 009) and to the modern pattern of land use, making it difficult to suggest a date for these features. (S7)
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1838/1 (826/218) 07-JUL-1975.
- <M1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. APs: NMR TM 1838/1/218; SAU AGC 04.
- <S2> SSF18445 (No record type): SAU, AP AGC 04, 1977.
- <S3> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1739/1 (SFU 11560/GC/2) XX-JUL-1977.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1839/1 (1659/407) 13-JUL-1979.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1838/5 (21365/13) 30-JUL-2001.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1838/7 (21334/02) 30-JUL-2001.
- <S7> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 18/08/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 22 2016 4:12PM