Find Spot record IPS 106 - Seven Arches Bridge, London Road, Ipswich, (IAS 9608).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1498 4455 (29m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1959-1960: Acheulean hand-axe, 8 inches by 4.25 inches, found 5 inches below river bed in fine gravel. Cleaver-type hand-axe found in spoil (S1). (IAS 9608)
Found by Mr.P.Coote & Mr.G.Thorpe in 1959, during the excavation of the foundations of the bridge crossing the Orwell on the A12 London Rd.
See also (S4).
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 959-210, 960.5.
- <S2> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. 226-227.
- <S3> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 9608.
- <S4> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 9608.
- <S5> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22744.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 26 2021 2:32PM