Monument record HAD 009 - Double ringed Bronze-Age round barrow, visible as a cropmark. (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0132 4480 (33m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||HADLEIGH, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Barrow, cropmark of double ring, N of Cosford Bridge, excavated partially in advance of sub-soiling. 57 feet (circa 17m) diameter, slightly ovular in shape. Inner ditch 7 feet by 1 foot 6 inches deep. In ditch filling:- unaccompanied cremation in a collared urn, disturbed by plough, only 2-3% of skeleton of a young person collected.
Outer ditch 5 feet from inner one, on W side possible break in outer ditch and formation of a causeway over inner ditch.
Centre of barrow had a robber trench, 7 feet by 9 feet, possible remains of a cremation urn. Only fill of robber trench investigated.
See also IA, Rom, Sax.+
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP BYC 41, Wymer J; NMR TM 0144/3/208 (under Kersey 002);.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM04SW14.
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, AP TM 0144/3/208, July 1979.
- <M2> SSF41318 (No record type): SAU AED 18.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BYC 49.
- <R2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 33.2, 1974, 109-115.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1971-163, 1971.
- <R3> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S4> SSF18410 (No record type): SAU, AP AED 18, copy of McMasters 39.
- <R4> SSF23442 (No record type): Wymer J, AP, 1977.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2013 8:38AM