Monument record OFF 002 - Offton Castle, Castle Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0652 4915 (108m by 108m)|
|Civil Parish||OFFTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Offton Castle (site of).
Square moated area, circa 2.4m above surrounding ground. Moat 35ft (circa 11m) wide. Island 14ft (circa 4.20m) above water level (S3, S4). On S side evidence of another enclosure. 'It has the appearance of an early ditched site adapted to later Med defence' (S3).
Sparse tree cover.
Possibly owned by William of Ambli in Stephen's reign (1135-1154).
1532: Reference to stone being taken from castle in (PRO) dispute between King and Lord Wentworth. Also small drawing of moat of 1798 in PRO (S2).
Ipswich Museum finds - iron buckles (R1).
1981: Moat water-filled and almost weedfree, except for small patches. Interior planted with 10-15 year old coppiced hazels and a few oaks. One small maple and a beech appear to be of recent planting. Tree cover has kept down undergrowth, leaving grass, ivy and a few nettles. Grass mown on outer sides of moat (S1).
1986: Site reached by footbridge. Outer ditch edge grassed; inner ditch edge and top of mound covered with small deciduous trees; undergrowth mainly of ivy; central area clear and grass-covered. Old shallow ivy-covered hole, approximately 2m N-S, 1m E-W and 0.20m deep, quite close to SW corner. Moat wet (S1).
Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <M1> SSF37256 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1920-54.35; 1921-55.58,59.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information. English Heritage, scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Pinfon-Roxburgh Mrs, Offton Village Recorder - information in PRO, London, Oct 2002 (Pers Comm).
- <S3> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 592.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM04NE3.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2020 8:40AM