Monument record BRK 009 - Darmsden (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 095 526 (511m by 399m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BARKING, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Type site of `Darmsden style' pottery of EIA date. Occupation site, including major group of sherds including haematite ware, West Harling style and Darmsden style, from pits (S1)(S2)(S4).
Rainbird Clarke, published finds (from 1938) described and illustrated as "Pottery from Moor's Hill, Darmsden, Barking" (MSF5351 BRK Misc)(S5).
Main `Darmsden style' of pottery considered fourth-third century BC by Cunliffe (S4) - now known to be principally EIA in date. For pottery from the 1938 excavations not illustrated by Cunliffe see sketches in parish file by Matt Brudenell (2009).
1938 finds from "in a shallow trench" included some Belgic material. LIA & Rom material came from the top of one of three pits examined in 1945.
Note at IPSMG on report by Spencer H E P of his excavations - a pencilled note by Maynard saying no reference was made to his own excavations on the site, i.e. pre 1945 (mentioned in (S2) which he undertook with Mr Proctor(? ) of Stowmarket (S3).
1946: Basil Brown starts visits and recording of site - see (S6).
See also BA and Rom.
Further material at BRK 013.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 34, 1979, 207.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1946-207, 1946.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4).
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 25, 1950, (2), 210-211.
- <S3> SSF9824 (No record type): IPSMG, Maynard G, pencilled note on H E P Spencer report, circa 1946.
- <S4> SSF4870 (No record type): Cunliffe B, `Early Pre-Roman IA Communities in Eastern England', Ant J, 48, 1968, 175-191, ill.
- <S5> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA , XCV, 1940, 26-27.
- <S6> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IX, 75, 76; XXXVIII, 26; LXV11, 26; XCVI, 135, 138; map 110.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 7 2013 4:09PM