Monument record BRK 009 - Darmsden (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 095 526 (512m by 400m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BARKING, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Pottery and rotary querns, pits, coin of Carus (AD 282-283) in topfill of IA features (S2)(S3)(R1). Another of the three pits excavated in 1945 only contained Rom material (S4).
Basil Brown regularly visited this site from 1946-1950 and found pottery, coin and beaten sand floors (S1).
See also BA, IA and Misc Rom burial.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IX, 75, 76; XXXVIII, 26; LXV11, 26; XCVI, 135, 138; map 110.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 24, 167.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards 1941-98 (pot); 1943-111 (querns); 1946-207.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4).
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 25, 1950, 210-211.
- <S4> SSF4877 (No record type): Cunliffe B,`Early Pre-Roman IA Communities in Eastern England', Ant J, 48, 1968, 184, ill.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 19 1995 12:00AM