Monument record BAD 002 - Anglo-Saxon artefact scatter of bronze bowls. (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0787 5618 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BADLEY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Bronze bowls (lost), found during construction of railway at `Gate Ford' (S1).
1. Coptic bowl.
2. Bowl with animal head handles and ornamented escutcheons and cover (S2)(S4).
3. Pot full of denarii - see Rom (R4)
"With the hanging bowl was a shallow bronze bowl & broken crock (?Rom) containing coins dating from Antonius Pius (AD 138-161)" (S1). Siting after B Brown (S1)(S3) but also note siting of ?same objects at BAD 004.
Details of objects, references and alternative findspot in (S5). Also Rom.
- <M1> SSF40884 (No record type): B Brown archive: map.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM05NE4, B Brown entry 1.8.1951.
- <R1> SSF680 (No record type): Archaeologia 56, 48, 333.
- <R2> SSF22878 (No record type): Watling H, Drawing in IPSMG (probably from originals, as the decorations on the escutcheons seem to .
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S5)(S7).
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 333.
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 89.
- <S4> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card A/S.
- <S5> SSF23096 (No record type): White R H, `The Hanging Bowl from Badley bridge (Needham Market), Suffolk: A Reappraisal', publicat.
- <S6> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 1911, 333.
- <S7> SSF17577 (No record type): Allen J R, 'Bronze Bowl found at Needham Market, Suffolk', Reliquary, 6, 1900 242-50.
- <S8> SSF11099 Bibliographic reference: Meaney, A.. 1964. Gazeteer of Early Anglo Saxon Burial Sites.
- <S9> SSF59932 Bibliographic reference: Geake, H.. 1997. The use of grave-goods in conversion-period England.
- <S10> SSF59161 Monograph: West, S.. 1998. A Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Material From Suffolk, East Anglian Archaeology.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 13 2021 10:19AM