Monument record SBN 003 - Field system with evidence of rectilinear field boundaries and a SW-NE trackway, enclosing ring ditch SBN 039 (S1-S3).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0288 3537 (470m by 294m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||STOKE-BY-NAYLAND, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Field system with evidence of rectilinear field boundaries and a SW-NE trackway.
Field includes ring ditches SBN 004, 033, 034, 039, 040 & 041 (S1-S3).
1976: Parallel ditches, c.40m apart. Cuts/is cut by large double ring-ditch. Possible cursus (S6).
1996: large rim fragment of extremely abraded C1/C2 Roman pottery from field surface near ring ditches SBN 033/034 (S4)
2000: gridded field-walking survey located over 100 worked flints of indeterminate (probably mainly EBA or later) Later prehistoric date - some seen (see S5).
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP ADR 88,1961; BPY 23, 1975.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP BPY 23, ADR 88; NMR 7/432; Mrs McMasters 91.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, AP 7/432.
- <S3> SSF11071 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters Mrs, AP 91, 1984.
- <S4> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. Wallace J per Plouviez J (SCCAS), June 1996.
- <S5> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. Pendleton C (SCCAS), October 2000.
- <S6> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 29 2020 12:22PM