Monument record NYW 009 - Roman artefact scatter of tegulae, imbrices and box tiles.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9605 3368 (143m by 187m)|
|Civil Parish||NAYLAND-WITH-WISSINGTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Area 30 yards E-W x 50 yards N-S with tegulae, imbrices and box tile. A trial hole revealed traces of burnt clay (S1). Material donated to Ipswich Museum by F G Storey, Wiston Hall, Nayland (excavator?) (S1).
13 March 1979: Site visit revealed scatter of brick, tile, (tegulae and flat pieces) including burnt fragments - not collected - and pottery (seven sherds of grey ware). Only W half visible clearly; E side rough ploughed but densest area of tile showing here. Sketch map (measured) positions site centre slightly to N at TL 9606 3371 and shows dense tile scatter 28m E-W x 63m N-S surrounded (to SW only shown on sketch map) by thin scatter a further 69m wide (S2).
For similar sites see NYW 008 and 010.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL93SE52,.
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1971-171, 1971.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site report.
- <S2> SSF18139 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), site report NYW 009, 1979.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S4> SSF56380 Article in serial: Owles, E. J.. 1970. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1970.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 17 2021 10:39AM