Monument record BSM 008 - Possible cursus, Smallbridge Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9188 3325 (244m by 108m)|
|Civil Parish||BURES ST MARY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Parallel lines circa 30m apart. E end with rounded corners. ? Entrances on E end, N & S sides. Possible cursus (S1)(S2)(R1). Surrounds ring ditch BSM 009. Extraction pit (oldish) has presumably destroyed west end which curiously shows on 1975 AP when the pit appears to be in existence though this had become overgrown on later APs.
1976: Described as Parallel ditches c.20m apart. Intersects at right angles, a narrow oval enclosure (?a long barrow) (S6)(S7).
190+m by 22m, form B [squared end, though E end definitely has rounded corners] (S5).
Also see BSM 010, 011 (?long barrows).
- <R1> SSF3833 (No record type): Colchester Archaeol Group, Bull 14, 1971, 7, 8, map 5.
- <M1> SSF46546 (No record type): APs: (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BXA 96.
- <S2> SSF18793 (No record type): SAU, APs AED 1, 13.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/11.18, June 1997.
- <S4> SSF50209 Article in monograph: JD Hedges & DG Buckley. 1981. Springfield Cursus and the Cursus Problem. fig 5.
- <S5> SSF50207 Bibliographic reference: Loveday R. 2006. Inscribed Across the Landscape: The Cursus Enigma. 210,fig 28.
- <S6> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- <S7> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 1 2018 2:21PM