Monument record PLS 004 - Whitestreet Green
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9775 3907 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||POLSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Belgic cremation cemetery found in 1926 in `gravel pit'. Two La Tene III brooches, butt beakers, pedestal urns, etc. Dated probably first half C1. See also PLS 003 for possible associated settlement.
PSIA refers to site as 'Boxford', though Polstead location is mapped (there is a similar group 500 yards away at BXF 001).
In a letter to Basil Brown dated December 1966, Guy Maynard says that the finds left in private possession were eventually sold to a jeweller in Woodbridge despite an undertaking given to him by the person holding them (S1).
A (gravel?) pit is shown at this location on the 1920s OS map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IX, 24; XCVIII, 21 card index 64.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index.
- <R1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1927-12, 1926-30, and 963-45 (finds circa 1930).
- <R2> SSF3641 (No record type): Clarke R R, `The Iron Age in Norfolk & Suffolk', Archaeol J, 96, 1939, 52-.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 31, (1), 1967, 88-107, ill.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S2).
- <R3> SSF50034 Bibliographic reference: Antiquaries Journal. Antiq J, 6, 1926, 309.
- <S3> SSF56006 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and E. J. Owles. 1961. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1961. XXIX.1, pp. 91–102..
- <S4> SSF59797 Index: Suffolk Coastal District Council. 1983. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 79.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 16 2021 2:32PM