Monument record LVM 005 - Guildhall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9160 4928 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||LAVENHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Guidhall of Corpus Christi. Guild founded by John de Vere, 15th Earl of Oxford in 1529.
Two storey timber framed hall with attics, built circa 1520-1526, restored 1911. Frontage to Market Place 48 feet and to Lady Street 27 feet. Main hall 20 feet x 17 feet with moulded beams and joists. Staircase of solid baulk of timber. Exterior corner post with carved figure of man in armour - supposed to represent John de Vere. Has been used as town hall, prison, workhouse, granary, now local museum.
"... built shortly after the foundation of the guild in 1529. It has a splendid porch varied and diversely decorated. Very ornate with carved angle-posts, carved spandrels, carved friezes and an overhang. Oriels on the ground floor, especially fine that towards Lady Street. At the corner of Lady Street carved angle-post with a figure with a lance. The main hall fills the front from the porch to the right. To the left, and projecting at the back two rooms, one behind the other" (R3).
1981: Whole building superbly maintained by National Trust. Used as Museum of Folk Life, with room set aside for NT shop (S1).
December 1996: Descheduled (S1).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <R1> SSF5209 (No record type): DOE (HHR), Cosford RD Suffolk, 1951, 81, 82.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <M2> SSF45187 (No record type): APs: NAU GDP 9-10.
- <R2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL94NW16,.
- <R3> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, with Radcliffe E, Suffolk, 2nd ed, 327.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Oct 9 2007 12:56PM