Monument record CLA 010 - Lower Common, Clare Camp; Erbury (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 768 458 (493m by 461m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||CLARE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Clare Camp formerly Erbury.
Irregular quadrangular in plan, 250m E-W. 210m N-S. Earthwork consists of a double bank and ditch. In 1911 the bank on the N side was 9 feet high and on the SW side 6 feet high. Inner bank higher than the outer (S1). Interior has various lumps and depressions (S2)(S3). Now under grass (S1).
Double banked earthwork enclosure, 7-8 acres, seen as cropmarks (S6, S7).
Has been suggested that this is an IA hillfort, but as yet there is no evidence to confirm this. Has also been suggested that this was the site of the LSax Collegiate Church of St John (R1), but this was probably in the castle. (See also Med - for later (? if not original) use of the earthwork.)
Name: Erbury (Erdebir 1309-1310, Erbury 1336, Erbury Garden 1554 (R2)(from O.E. earth-burh 'earth fortification', cf Arbury Camp, Cambridge). Name Erbury was used as a synonym for manor of Clare cum Chilton, especially in C14. Area extended to SW in 1981 and W in 1989 to include cropmarks on (S2)(S3).
1993: for results of earthwork survey by RCHME see (S5).
1994: geophysical surveys (magnetometer and resistivity) by RCHME and AML - details in file.
See also Med.
- <R1> SSF21037 (No record type): Scarfe N, Suffolk Landscape, 1972, pl II.
- <R1> SSF3647 (No record type): Clarke R R, East Anglia.
- <R1> SSF3666 (No record type): Clarke R R, The Iron Age in Norfolk & Suffolk, Arch J, 95, 1939, 106.
- <M1> SSF45547 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF22127 (No record type): Thornton G A, History of Clare, 1928.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs PQ 30,31,33, 1855; EP 148,155.
- <M2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <S3> SSF18345 (No record type): SAU, AP ADA 1.
- <M3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP PQ 30,31,33, EP 155,148; SAU ADA 1; NAU GDU 6-7.
- <R3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVIII, 106.
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, AP, BW/99/3/5, 6 & 7 & 9-15, January 1999.
- <R4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 1, 1850, 25.
- <M4> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <R5> SSF357 (No record type): Arch J, 57, 1900, 109.
- <S5> SSF50064 Unpublished document: Survey. RCHME, Clare Camp, Clare, Suffolk; an archaeological survey …, Sept to Oct 1993, ill.
- <R6> SSF5428 (No record type): Dutt W A, Little Guide to Suffolk, 1904, 41.
- <S6> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- <R7> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 588, 590 (plan).
- <S7> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- <R8> SSF6554 (No record type): Fox C, Archaeol of the Cambridge Region, 1923.
- <R9> SSF21476 (No record type): Spence L, Boadicea, Queen of the Britons, 1937, 74.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
May 8 2019 6:05PM