Monument record SBC 004 - Ring Ditches & Ritual Structure S of Chapel Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7318 4322 (29m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||STOKE-BY-CLARE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
S of Chapel St Farm, ring ditch, circa 35m diameter, the most north- easterly of a group of nine ring ditches, SBC 001-008 & 016 (S1-S3)(S5).
1974: The site has two important aspects: 1) 3 ring ditches in the top photo, BNM 54; 2) cropmark of a destroyed area apparently unrecovered (unrecorded?) church (detail on BNM 59)- see SBC 011. A slight difference in alignment of the central structure may indicate the possibility of 2 churches of differing periods. A very unusual site. No surface indications except a faint mound over the site of the church (S4).
1981: Site under arable - no artefacts noted, nor faint mound as stated above (S4).
1990s (?): site deep-ploughed by owner, (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), according to English Heritage (Ian Millar) (S6).
Now (2008) under Farm Management plan and reverted to grass (Will Fletcher).
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs ADJ 79, 1961; ADR 70, 1961; ZC 33, 38.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP ADJ 79, ADR 70, ZC 33,38; SAU ADA 11, ADC 18, AFY 11-12;.
- <S2> SSF18731 (No record type): SAU, APs ADA 11, ADC 18, AFY 11-12.
- <M2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TL 7243/5/173, TL 7343/3/86; ECC 170/11-15.
- <M3> SSF45750 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, APs TL 7243/5/173, TL 7343/3/86.
- <S4> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S5> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, AP 170/11-15, 1989.
- <S6> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. McMasters I, to C Pendleton (SCCAS), July 2008.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jan 6 2021 1:52PM