Monument record HUD 010 - Anglo-Saxon artefact scatter of coins of Athelstan, Edmund and Eadred. (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 738 487 (93m by 143m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HUNDON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
"A considerable number of Anglo Saxon coins of Athelstan (925-940), Edmund (940-946), and Eadred (946-955) were found in a grave at Hundon in 1687." (S2)(R1).
Claimed as Viking burial by Biddle - `Honedon, Suffolk 200-300 coins deposited c.953, "in a grave, near a skull".' (S1)(R2)(R3). Barker (1907) states that `more than 200 Saxon coins were found, many years ago by the Sexton while digging a grave in the churchyard' (S3).
See unchecked references for more detail?
- <S1> SSF1215 (No record type): Biddle B & M, Brit Num J, 56, 1986, 27-28.
- <R1> SSF3105 (No record type): Camden, Britannia 1806, 163 (ed Gough).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1).
- <R2> SSF1279 (No record type): Blunt C E & Pagan H E, BNJ, 45, 1975, 28.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL74NW13.
- <R3> SSF21679 (No record type): Strudwick J S, BNJ, 28, 1955-1957, 180-182.
- <S3> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 203.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 12 2021 12:26PM