Monument record HVH 004 - Haverhill Castle
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6582 4578 (292m by 217m)|
|Civil Parish||HAVERHILL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
"Castle". Irregular earthworks (R1). "Haverhill Castle is an earthwork on high ground to the W of the town. There are references to a `castle' in 1373 and 1403 but an examination of the remains indicates that the earthworks are of a fortified manor-house, and there is no sign of a mound. The moated area is roughly oblong and much mutilated." (S1).
1783: Three(?) buildings shown and named as Haverhill Castle on Hodskinson's map (S5).
1907: ...`earthen mound encircled by a foss, near the town, known as Haverhill Castle' (S2).
1911: `The site of Haverhill Castle, ... its S-E scarp and fosse were preserved until recently, but now the rectangular site can only be traced by the fencing of the ground, a ditch, and part of the fosse, 12ft deep, containing water. This bleak position is now occupied by Castle Farm' (S3). A survey of the manor of Haverhill (otherwise The Castle) for 1566 exists (S4)(R2).
August 1995: Extreme drought causing parchmarks in E corner of site in form of large semi-circle, open-sided rectangle, and miscellaneous other features (S6). Sketch plots and photographs (S6) in parish file.
For plot of Castle Farm buildings, see (S7).
August 2003: bagged hoard of at least 42 cast modern copies of Tudor groats fished out of 'the newt pond' (large pond in centre of former moated area). Details in parish file. Others from same location apparently reported in 2005.
Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL64NE9.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: sketch plots, photos.
- <S1> SSF5144 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, The Little Guide: Suffolk, 1957 ed, 183.
- <R2> SSF21923 (No record type): Survey of Manor & Rectory, Exchequer Special Commissions.
- <S2> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 178-9.
- <S3> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 590.
- <S4> SSF7028 Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
- <S5> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S6> SSF1280 (No record type): Blyth Mrs N & Hitchcock Mrs J, September 1995.
- <S7> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, 1886.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2021 12:44PM