Monument record RDE 001 - Rede Hall

Please read our .

Summary

Rede Hall is a 17th century timber building with late 18th century face. The house is surrounded by the part waterfilled remains of a homestead moat, with the remains of a further enclosure to the south. The moat, set on a gentle South-East slope,measures overall 82.0m East-West by 66.0m North-South with arms averaging 12.0m wide and 3.5m deep (on the north side). The additional moated enclosure extends from the South-West angle for about 70.0m but has been destroyed on the East side by modern farm buildings.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 805 577 (158m by 167m)
Map sheet TL85NW
Civil Parish CHEDBURGH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Civil Parish REDE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Rede Hall: rectangular moat surrounds house, west side partly unfilled. Access by bridge (wooden in 1933) across south side. To south are farm buildings partly enclosed by a fragmentary outer moat, also rectangular. Complex lies on the north side of a small former green (see RDE 004). House surrounded by a small park in 1837 (S2). Park field names recorded on 1838/9 Tithe Map & Apportionment (S3), extending into Chedburgh parish (Kemps Park, Park Pightle, The Park)(S4).

Taken from NRHE record:
(TL 8054 5773) Rede Hall (NR)

"At Rede Hall ... moats surrounded two adjacent tracts of land. The northernmost is complete but for part of its western side, and of the southern about half remains".

A 17th century timber building with late 18th century face. Grade 3.

Rede Hall (name confirmed) is as described by authority 3 but externally modernised and not outstanding. The house is surrounded by the part waterfilled remains of a homestead moat, with the remains of a further enclosure to the south. The moat, set on a gentle SE slope,measures overall 82.0m E-W by 66.0m N-S with arms averaging 12.0m wide and 3.5m deep (on the north side). The additional moated enclosure extends from the SW angle for about 70.0m but has been destroyed on the east side by modern farm buildings.

Published survey (25") revised.

Sources/Archives (10)

  • --- (No record type):
  • <S1> (No record type): OS, record map, TL85NW, entry 4.
  • <R1> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL85NW4.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Notes from (S3).
  • <S2> (No record type): OS, 1st edition map.
  • <S3> (No record type): SRO (Bury), T67/1,2.
  • <S4> Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. (Bury), T70/1,2.
  • <S5> Bibliographic reference: William Page. 1911. The Victoria history of the county of Suffolk, volume one.
  • <S6> Bibliographic reference: District of St Edmundsbury. 1974. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
  • <S7> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jul 1 2021 12:40PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.