Find Spot record WPT 006 - Mill Farm, Woolpit, (Palaeolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 965 625 (101m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||DRINKSTONE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WOOLPIT, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Pre 1968: Flint hand axe. Pointed form in sharp condition. Possibly from old gravel pits on Mill Farm, Drinkstone (S1-S4)
Wymer (S4) regards this as being Terps site 22732 (Woolpit with no specific provenance) however the description clearly fits Terps site 22645. It seems likely that one item has been recorded twice due to confusion caused by the site being on the parsh border between Woolpit and Drinkstone.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL96SE15.
- <S2> SSF55973 Article in serial: Owles, E. J. and N. Smedley. 1968. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1968. PSIAH, 1968, XXXI.2, pp. 188–201..
- <S3> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. 145 (sub Drinkstone, Mill Farm).
- <S4> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22645, 22732.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Mar 31 2021 1:06PM