Monument record KBA 002 - Chapel Farm

Please read our .

Summary

Chapel - alleged site of.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 9767 4985 (30m by 37m)
Map sheet TL94NE
Civil Parish HITCHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK
Civil Parish KETTLEBASTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Chapel - alleged site of.
Chapel Farm is situated on the Hitcham/Kettlebaston boundary - the boundary running through the farmyard. On the Hitcham Tithe Map of 1839 the house appears to be `U' shaped, of which only the northern E-W aligned block seems to survive. This is timber framed and probably dates from the first half of the C17, but utilising a large amount of re-used timber. The north front has been formalised by the addition of sash windows and there is a later extension at the rear. At the rear, in the angle between the main block and the extension, is a double storied brick bay window with arched lights and moulded brick surrounds. At ground level there is a main two-light window (now blocked with bricks) and two single lights on the east side; the west side is now an internal opening. This arrangement is repeated at first floor level, though there all the lights are glazed. The heads of the upper lights are not original and appear to have been cut-down to fit a lower building. The original brickwork seems to date from circa 1530 but with modern glass. Adjoining the east side of the window is a thick brick wall, but the junction with the window is clumsy, partially obscuring part of the window moulding. There is a similar stump of thick walling to the west of the window, internally. House now (1989) being renovated.
The farm (named as Chapel House in 1824 - S1) appears to be an amalgamation of the manor of Manton (the Domesday vill of Manetuna) and a copyhold tenement of the manor of Hitcham called Smiths and Merchants. The manor of Manton was granted by the Crown to Edward Elrington and Humphry Metcalf in 1544 (S2), as formerly belonging to the Commandery of St John at Battisford (see BAT 001). The property then passed through a succession of 9 owners before being acquired by Sir George Waldegrave of Wetherden Hall in Hitcham in 1595.

Sources/Archives (9)

  • <R1> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL94NE1.
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W A, Manors of Suffolk, sub Kettlebaston.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: plan of house.
  • <S2> (No record type): State Papers, Domestic, Henry VIII, vol 19 I, no 442, 279.
  • <R2> Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1972-147, 1972.
  • <R3> (No record type): MHLG Prov List No 2018/11/A, Oct 1951 (addenda).
  • <S3> Map: OS. OS Map. OS 6" 1905.
  • <S4> Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 JB 16-JAN-70.
  • <S5> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Mar 17 2021 1:41PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.