Monument record EXG 122 - Roman burials found in a gravel pit
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 62 64 (1000m by 1000m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||NEWMARKET, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||EXNING, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Burials found in a gravel pit, up to 18 inches deep, between 1832 and 1834 (?Rom)(S3). Finds include 6 vessels containing burnt bone, sherds coarse black ware, spearheads (see BA), arrowhead (see BA), glass bead necklace, bronze bracelet, glass bottle, bronze rings etc. Finds purchased by Davy (R1)(S3). Further details in (S3).
Cinerary urn containing nails, burnt bones (R3).
Indented beaker containing burnt bone (S1)).
Some possible confusion between these finds and BA hoard (see Misc BA).
Formerly recorded as EXG MISC
- <R1> SSF21784 (No record type): Suffolk Illustrated (Fitch Colln), 12.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1920-50.13, 1920.
- <R2> SSF359 (No record type): Arch J, 57, 1900, 142.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVIII, 88.
- <R3> SSF1310 (No record type): BM, 184.108.40.206.
- <S3> SSF5021 (No record type): Davy D E, `A Journal of Excusions through the County of Suffolk 1823- 1844', Suff Rec Soc, 1982, 24,.
- <R4> SSF11478 (No record type): Moore, 1948 (ill).
- FSF10531: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF10532: SPEARHEAD (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF10533: ARROWHEAD (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF10534: BEAD (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF10535: BRACELET (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF10536: BOTTLE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF10537: RING (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 11 2018 4:00PM