Monument record GAZ 006 - Denham Castle; 'Castle Holes'; Desning Castle
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 747 628 (130m by 134m)|
|Civil Parish||GAZELEY, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Motte and Bailey Castle. Scheduled Monument.
Castle Holes/Denham Castle - circular bailey, deep ditch. Traces of motte in NE corner. Coins and spur found (OS 1861).
9 Aug 1962: motte 10 feet high, concave top [where "Coins and spur found (OS 1861)"?]. in the NE corner of an oval bailey. Ditch 41 6" deep. Entrance in souith. Low (4') wide (30') bank round W side of bailey. E bank and ditch destroyed Summary of (S3)(R6).
14 Aug 1962: levelling operations in recent years has reduced height of the motte and left the bailey practically featureless. Extremely overgrown. See amended OS plan (S3).
1981: Moat almost completely water-filled and tree lined. Interior of bailey rough pasture with a few trees. Two tracts of land running SW from vestigial motte have recently been ploughed. Apparent scatter of chalk lumps and flint exposed. Four sherds of pottery picked up in plough soil, Medieval - one possibly Roman (S1).
For measured plan of circa 1785 by Thomas Lyus see parish file ("Denham castle between Dalham & Barrow, Suffolk" - copy of map held and copyrighted by Colchester and Ipswich Museums).
Also see 'Denham Castle, Gazeley', Pagus, issue 19 (Feb 1987)(Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds).
Also known as Desning Castle - lies within sub-manor (of Gazeley) of 'Desning Hall al Castle Hall' (S4).
Earthworks visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <M2> SSF41114 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs BHQ 28, BHQ 30, 15 December, 1971.
- <R2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 598.
- <R3> SSF21052 (No record type): Scarfe, Suffolk Landscape, 160.
- <M3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP BHQ 28, BHQ 30.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76SW1.
- <S4> SSF50019 Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History. West Suffolk.
- <R4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 3, 1863, (3), 411.
- <R5> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The Buildings of England - Suffolk, London 1975, (2), 227.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <R6> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). 598 (sketch plan).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 25 2021 3:13PM