Monument record HGW 004 - Round barrow of unknown date, marked on the OS 1st edition map.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7162 6862 (59m by 61m)|
|Civil Parish||HERRINGSWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Round Barrow (?)
1837: Marked on OS 1st edition map.
6 inch scale OS map shows two small 100 feet contour rings (HGW 004 & 005) and a larger 100 feet contour area to the SE of them. The whole group forming a line 380m long running NE-SW, to the E of Warrenhill Farm (Tithe Farm on 1836 Tithe Map).
1977: A large round barrow lying on the edge of a S facing ridge under plough. Maximum diameter 48.0m, 1.6m high. No trace of a ditch (S1). The three mounds on the 6 inch map are perhaps the "Threhowes" mentioned in a C14 document relating to Herringswell (R1).
April 1999: Scheduled (together with HGW 005). Details in (S2).
- --- SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <R1> SSF10587 (No record type): Livett, R.G.C.. Livett R G C, Some C14 documents relating to Herringswell, E Ang Notes & Queries, NS X, 1903-1904, 1.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76NW5A.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <M2> SSF42824 (No record type): Barrow index:.
- <S2> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. English Heritage, Scheduling Information.
- <M3> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. SAM file (S2).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 22 2021 2:21PM