Find Spot record BRS 002 - River Waveney at Barsham, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3934 9069 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BARSHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1974-1979: Large double platform prismatic core 16.5cm long x 6cm wide, yellowish-grey flint with darker inclusions. Similar to material from Sproughton (S1, S2). Found in a boat moored on the River Waveney, having been hurled through the boat's windscreen. The river had been dredged recently and presumably the core came from the dredgings (S3). Probably Terminal Upper Palaeolithic. Seen by J Wymer 26-5-1979 per Burroughes G (S4). See also (S5-S7).
- <S1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: drawing, J Wymer postcard.
- <S2> SSF23440 Article in serial: Wymer, J.J.. 1976. A long blade industry from Sproughton. Wymer J, A long blade industry from Sproughton, EAA, 3, (1976).
- <S3> SSF2969 Source Unchecked: Burroughs GE. 1985. Burroughes G, February 1985. Burroughes G, February 1985.
- <S4> SSF23445 Personal Correspondence: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Wymer J, February 1985. Wymer J, February 1985.
- <S5> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 272.
- <S6> SSF59354 Unpublished document: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. P 164.
- <S7> SSF37505 Photograph: Photographs: AVZ 10-13. Photographs: AVZ 10-13.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 16 2019 12:00PM