Monument record SXL 001 - Site of Little Saxham Hall; Crofts Place
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 806 633 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||THE SAXHAMS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Site of Little Saxham Hall.
A complex of 2 or possibly 3 conjoined rectangular moats. Unoccupied. Isolated. An L-shaped moated site about 121m x 128m with fairly broad wet moats on all sides, except the E angle. In the SW corner the moat has been ? opened into a large pond. There is a brick built bridge with two arches (? C18) across the N arm of the moat (S1).
The Hall was built by Thomas Lucas, Solicitor-General to Henry VII. A MS in the BM lists the expenditure incurred in its building. Pulled down in 1773. Cropmarks of building foundations were clearly seen in the dry summer of 1976 (S1).
Hall pulled down in 1773 by Richard Crofts (S2).
Brickwork and a second bridge abutment found on the inner side of the NW arm of the moat as a result of dredging 1985/1986 (see parish file/(S3)). Building accounts of 1505-14 considered in (S4).
Buildings in complex probably included dove house - see Misc.
For associated Park - see SXL 011.
- <M1> SSF44694 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 40, 1903, 69.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86SW7.
- <M2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XXIV, 79.
- <R3> SSF2902 (No record type): Building accounts 1505-14: British Library Add MS7097 from 174-200.
- <M3> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: tracing of C18 copy map of 1638.
- <S3> SSF5262 (No record type): DOE, Sherlock D, 1986.
- <S4> SSF97 (No record type): Airs M, The designing of 5 E Anglian country houses 1505-1637, Architectural History 21, 1978, 58-67.
- <S5> SSF7458 (No record type): Hervey S H A, Little Saxham Parish Registers, 1901, 218.
- <S6> SSF44 (No record type): 1776 copy of a map of 1638, Suffolk Record Office, Bury.
- <S7> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. BW/99/16/15, January 1999.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M J) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M J)) (ESF13852)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13628)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF13147)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF13964)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2009 10:19AM