Monument record RGH 011 - Chevin's Wood (adjoining)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9256 6252 (326m by 203m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||RUSHBROOKE WITH ROUGHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Possible moat - site of. Sub-circular, unoccupied. Isolated, circa 200m from parish boundary, circa 1,150m from church.
Part of circular moat [not very convincing] shown as surviving on 1958 OS map, but nearly all gone or surviving merely as field drainage ditches on 1978 OS map (S1). The Rougham Estate maps of 1815 show the west end of northernmost (& largest & most moat-like) of the ditches as curving to the north!
Cropmarks show Western 'moat' boundary as broad and straight so if originally part of moat it was not circular.
Cropmarks show the field to the north (Long Close on the Estate Map) as containing various boundaries, enclosures, and a large square platform suggesting this to be the likely location of any occupation (S4)(S5). (S4) also appears to show a circular enclosure with thin diches but of circa 110m diameter centreing on (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (partially within Chevins Wood (RGH 026).
C13 pottery found ((see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s))[where?, when? - source?].
Chavents was a sub-manor, a monastic property, absorbed by main manor in 16th century (S3)(R1), recorded AD 1271 to circa 1420.
1990s: sub-circular 'moated' area fieldwalked by Jane Carr & members of the CBA Young Archaeologists Club (Bury) - no significant finds, certainly no Medieval pottery (S2).
- <S1> SSF12572 (No record type): OS, 1:10560 & 1:10000 map, TL 96 SW, 1958 & 1978.
- <R1> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W.
- <S2> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Carr J (SCCAS), feb 2007.
- <S3> SSF50019 Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History. West Suffolk.
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. CP/96/64/2, 18 July 1996.
- <S5> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. Suffolk CC, vertical 1:10,000 series, 1999.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 6 2014 3:05PM