Monument record BSE 040 - Chapel of the Charnel
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 856 640 (33m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Early C14 chapel. Flint walls circa 8 feet high. W end rebuilt. Windows blocked. Walls, inside and out, covered with memorial tablets mostly first half of C19. Interior is a garden. Surrounded by C18 iron railings. Vaults are still used for burials. It stood in the graveyard attached to the Abbey (S1).
Rectangular E-W main cell with triangular E end. Max internal dimensions 17.95m x 6.70m. Flint rubble core, originally with ashlar external face. Three entrance openings on each N & S wall. Signs of large windows above. Part buried by at least 1m of soil (S2).
Built by John of Northwold (AD 1279-1301). Had a triangular E end (R1).
- <R1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The buildings of England, Suffolk, 1974, 137.
- <M1> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. (S1).
- <S1> SSF5226 (No record type): DOE scheduling information, 1986.
- <S2> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. SAU, Carr R D, Site Visit notes, August 1998.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Plan & interpretation.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2012 5:12PM