Monument record MDM 001 - Withersdale Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 281 805 (95m by 72m)|
|Civil Parish||MENDHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Moat, rounded trapezoid, unoccupied, but adjoining Withersdale Hall, isolated (S1).
Sherds of grey ware, C13 - C14 including section of milk skimming dish with finger decoration, oyster shell and bones of pig and sheep from moated site. Excavated by donor, given by Vincent Mattei, The Old Rectory, Mendham, Harleston, Norfolk (S2).
Pottery sherds found in garden soil, known to have been stripped from moated area within last 20 years. All C13 - C14. 1 jetton (French, early C15) retained by finder (S3).
Hall name given as Withersdale Hall on OS map 1:10560 , undated,but Whithersdale Hall on 1:10000, 1980 (S4) (S5).
- <S1> SSF18198 Source Unchecked: West Dr S E. ND. SAU (West S E), undated. SAU (West S E), undated.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file : site report October 1982 contained in description above (S3).
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card, 970-119, 1970.
- <S3> SSF7251 (No record type): Hardy M J, October 1982.
- <S4> SSF12356 (No record type): OS 1:10560 map, date unknown.
- <S5> SSF12353 (No record type): OS 1:10000 map, 1980.
- <S6> SSF4118 (No record type): Copinger, Manors of Suffolk, IV, 75 116.
- <S7> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff 1984, PSIA,36, 1985, (1), 47.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 30 2016 9:59AM