Monument record PKM 006 - Grimstone End (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9352 6917 (38m by 37m)|
|Civil Parish||PAKENHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
This site, PKM 006, is part of the larger multi-period area covered by PKM 028 at Grimstone End, and was being quarried for gravel whilst excavations were taking place so these were often hurried and find spots immediately destroyed. Ipswich Museum excavated on three occasions in the area and Basil Brown spent much time there during the years 1953-1964 and recorded many sites and artefacts from all periods. PKM 006 relates to the ring ditch on the SW edge of Grimstone End near Broadway and shows clearly on APs of the 1950s. The tumulus had been ploughed out and was excavated by Ipswich Museum, with Basil Brown in charge, in 1953. The excavation included an area outside the ring ditch and the whole revealed a multi-period site from Neo to Sax which included burials, cremations, "kiln" floors, huts, and artefacts from all periods.
Ring ditch of barrow. Mound 26.8m diameter, ditch 4.9m wide, 1.2m deep. Partially inverted food vessel and heap of cremated bones slightly off centre (primary burial). Male skeleton, extended, face uppermost, head to W found 26 feet S of centre with circular flint scraper between feet; skeleton (unsexed) 28 feet to E of centre, flexed, lying on right side, head to NNW; unsited skeleton, female over 30, found by quarrying. No dateable material found, thought at the time to be Sax but possibly BA. Small sherd of Beaker pottery found in silt filling of ditch (S1) (S2) (S3) (R1) (R2) (R3).
- <R1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP 80M.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive : volumes, card index, maps, site plans.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B - see CRN 06856 for volume references.
- <R2> SSF3584 (No record type): Clarke D, Beaker pottery, 1970, 2, 498, corpus 943F.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 953-158, 1953.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 26, 1954, 188-207.
- <R3> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. (Gaz).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 4:18PM