Monument record EWL 002 - Elmswell Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9829 6431 (239m by 148m)|
|Civil Parish||ELMSWELL, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Moat. Square, largely filled in and ploughed (S1). `To E are remnants of the E and S sides of a large water-girt area' (S2). Hall built over this, C16 with C19 exterior, LB Grade II. Isolated, 250m from parish boundary, 630m from church. Originally manor of the Abbot of Bury St Edmunds. Visited by Henry VI in 1433.
Groat of Edward III (London) 1354-1355 (S3).
Details of 1980 moated site survey in parish file.
Double moat shown on Tithe map - area on HER map revised accordingly (Nov 99) (S5).
- <R1> SSF11185 (No record type): MHLG, Prov list, Thedwastre RD, 1951, 7.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL96SE11.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4).
- <R2> SSF21541 (No record type): SRO (Ipswich) HD 80/1/1/49 C18 estate map.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 609.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 961-107, 1961.
- <S4> SSF22032 (No record type): Taylor M N et al, Suffolk Moated Site Survey, EWL 002, August 1980, sketch plan & map.
- <S5> SSF56835 Map: 1841. Elmswell Tithe Map.
- <S6> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. SCCAS, Carr R D, October 1999.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 2 2016 3:50PM