Monument record WSW 028 - Probable Bronze Age barrow, Jennet's Hill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8098 7436 (50m by 50m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WEST STOW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Barrow (site of): one of two (see WSW 029) at Jennet's Hill shown on Hodskinson's 1783 map and OS 1st edition, 1837.
1977: No trace was seen on the ground and the sites were not known to forestry workers. Nothing visible on OS APs and no significant names obtained from 1840 Tithe Map. Possible that the barrows were destroyed when the area was afforested in the 1930's (S1).
Round barrow excavated by Edwardson in 1961 (WSW 014) may have been this barrow.
1992: Barrow clearly visible in felled area. Grid reference slightly too far E - revised from TL 8103 7430 to 8098 7439 though still needs checking on ground. W edge cut by track (see Edwardson plan relating to WSW 014 entry, S3), mound covered with tree stumps (S2).
2002: Resited slightly further south by Nick Gibbons (FC) using GPS (details in parish file) with comment that looks like centre previously dug out (ie, could be WSW 014 excavation).
August 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
A probable Bronze Age barrow is seen as an earthwork on visualised lidar data (S5). The mound is cut by a modern forestry track and the earthwork remains of the mound can be seen on either side of the track. The probable barrow is not recorded on the Frist Edition Ordnance Survey map (S6) and is in close proximity to a probable post medieval boundary bank to the south (located at 8090 7435). The monument polygon has been amended to correlate with the location of the earthworks from the visualised lidar data. The probable barrow is in close proximity to a further possible barrow to the south east (WSW 029).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 19th August 2019.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87SW20.
- <S2> SSF20075 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, 1992.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Edwardson A R, 29, 1961, 73-77, ill.
- <S4> SSF50065 Map: J Hodskinson. 1783. The County of Suffolk Surveyed. Map, 1783.
- <S5> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S6> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2020 10:52AM